Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Sounds You Don't Hear

Dictionary Definition:
sound/noun
1. sensation in ears when surrounding sound vibrates
2. what is or may be heard


For the purpose of a dictionary, the Oxford people clubbed 'is' and 'may be' together. I think they should be different. Because you see, what 'is' heard and what 'may be' heard are very different. The first point of difference being what 'is' heard is always heard. What 'may be' heard is never really heard.

I've been rather depressed over the past few days.


Dictionary Definition
:
depressed/adjective
1. ad and gloomy; dejected; downcast
2. Psychiatry suffering from depression


I haven't been able to eat. The food just dries up in my mouth. I can't eat unless I'm in a good mood, and that won't happen unless I'm in company and I'm feeling pleasant, at least temporarily.

All my friends were out one day a few days back and all day I was alone in my room. And no matter what I did, I didn't hear a single sound that is normally heard. I heard everything that I never manage to hear in the rush and bustle of our daily lives.

What 'is' heard? Feet running, voices chatting, people laughing, music playing, bikes zooming, water flowing, doors banging, phones ringing... the normal sounds of a hostel, with its busy life, and busy people.

What did I hear today? Sounds I'd never heard before. Sounds one hears only when it's silent.


Dictionary Definition
:
silence/noun
1. absence of sound
2. abstinence from speech or noise


I heard silence. Not absolute, but the kind of silence that's present when common sounds are absent.

I heard the patter of tiny footsteps and the squeaks of a squirrel foraging for food, as I looked around to find a little snack.

I heard the cooing of a pigeon that had launched on my window sill, looking for a place to build its nest, as I looked out far away, remembering the gardens of my home.

I heard the soughing of the wind in the trees, a gentle breeze rustling the leaves on the ground, as I looked up at the sky to drink in the glorious colour of sunset.

I heard the ticking of my wrist watch, a quiet reminder to use my time carefully and cherish precious moments, as time passes on and the love of my life sets down his path, imperceptibly but irretrievably moving away from me.

I heard the rustle of my clothes, my hair and my skin, the innate tones and tunes of my own person, as I moved from one position to another, to suit the comfort of my muscles.

I heard the music of the slow dance performed by my lungs, breathing to sustain the life I live, as I move, walk and work.

And as I lay in bed to slumber, I heard, most intimately, the steady rhythmic beating of my own heart, beating to keep my life, beating that I might live and love and overcome the greatest challenge that could be posed to me... myself.

No comments: