Friday, January 19, 2007

The Heart That Beats

Yesterday I saw a tree. Just an ordinary beautiful tree. Spreading out large branches, covered with leaves. Little insects crawling all over its body, while larger, sometimes nastier, two-legged insects roamed uselessly around it.

Two moments later, I scaled it and came to rest in its boughs. A gentle breeze rustled through the leaves, creating a song. Not musical, yet enchanting, because intertwined in its tone was a delicate peal of laughter. Distinct, yet indistinguishable.

I lent my ear and my bosom to the tree. And I heard it whisper to me. I felt its heart beat against my own. As gently as the leaves flutter to the ground. Calming, soothing, comforting. Caring. I am solid, I am strong, I am faithful. I care. I felt a voice within whisper to me. It too has a heart that beats.

The day passed. I don't know how the day passed. And it ended very sadly.

I ran. I just ran. I don't know where I ran. But I just ran. And then I stopped. I dropped down. I was at the foot of a tree.

And once again I was surrounded by its arms. Once again I heard it sing so mysteriously. Once again it whispered comfort to me, as I felt my heavy heart beat.

I am solid. I am strong. I am faithful.

I care.

And you must care for me too. For, I too have a heart that beats.

No comments: