Friday, February 11, 2011

Blog Reading

I read blogs. In fact, I read too many of them, so much that my own writing has come to a standstill. Blog-reading was a phase that I fell into headfirst, and too deeply for my own good. It is certainly good to read blogs and to think about what is written, but certain things need to be remembered when reading other people's blogs. 

For starters, I started to spend too much time reading too many blogs, and each and every post on those blogs. It started with two or three, and slowly spread to something like fifteen. That was overkill. I realized, that even on very good blogs, it's just not worth reading every single word of every single post. Even with very good blogs, you can separate the really good posts from the just okay ones, and then focus on reading selective posts. Of course to do this, you have to be reading every single word to start with, so that you can discern the good posts from the not-so-great ones! I have been reading long enough to do that, and have already started doing so. This makes more sense, because it allows me to focus my thinking on stuff that really interests me, rather than just read anything and everything. 

Then again, it's not enough to just read. Reading is supposed to inspire thinking, and that is what allows intellect to grow. But thinking inside one's head is not enough; I've realized this the hard way, with too much pain. There must be some outlet for one's thoughts; somewhere where you can look back at them and connect the dots to make patterns. This is where one's own writing should help; writing as a habit makes you focus your thoughts, and solidify them. Writing is important for communication too, because if you can write stuff clearly, that allows you to share your ideas effectively. 

Reading every single word of every single post is quite frankly, a waste of time. Really a waste of time. Even if every post gave you something to think about, and to write about, it's still not worth it. You don't get left with anything else to do. Thank goodness I didn't start commenting on blogs too. That would've been the end of me. It nearly was, especially with my writing coming to a halt and all.

I've always believed it a bad idea to make promises, because somehow I have never believed that it's usually possible to fully ever keep a promise. Certainly a promise with a forever connotation is a very bad idea. So I'm not going to promise myself that I will get back to my writing and post regularly, but I can certainly try to commit to that. I like my writing, and I often have a hard time believing the richness of thought I used to have as a younger person. I want that to continue, and the best way to do that is to keep up the writing. I will post more regularly. That's all.

No comments: